Eating, playing, living outside: For many Swiss people, camping is part of summer. And the choice of places is enormous. Exactly 650 campsites in this country make you want a cozy outdoor experience. This variety does not make it easy to find the perfect place for yourself.
These are the most beautiful campsites
We have selected the most beautiful campsites in Switzerland. If you do some research beforehand, you will definitely find the right spot for an outdoor holiday.
The most beautiful campsites in the mountains
- Seeli: Seelisberg, UR: The Seeli campsite is located on the idyllic Seelisbergsee, 400 meters above Lake Lucerne. From May to September you can enjoy the tranquility in the midst of the mountains. With rubber boats you can explore the lake, which gets up to 24 degrees warm in summer. But watch out for the water spirit «Elbst», who is said to live in it.
- Vorauen: Klöntal, GL: The «Vorauen» campsite is located on one of the most beautiful mountain lakes in Switzerland, the Klöntalersee. The campsite is an ideal starting point for easy and demanding hikes or bike tours. Those who prefer to enjoy the days on and in the lake can go fishing, sailing or surfing.
- Des Glaciers: La Fouly, VS: The campsite “Des Glaciers” is located in a unique alpine landscape at the foot of a glacier at about 1600 meters. The campsite surrounded by fir trees leads to numerous hiking trails in the mountains, which are interesting for climbers, among others. You can end the evening by the fire or in the cozy lounge.
- Fontanivas: Disentis, GR: The beach around the natural lake Fontanivas in Disentis offers plenty of space to sunbathe. Children can have fun on the water playground or panning for gold. Sports enthusiasts will get their money’s worth thanks to mountain bike tours, table tennis tournaments, rafting and canyoning. The campsite restaurant provides culinary delights.
The most beautiful campsites by the water
- Amriswil: Uttwil, TG: Necessity is the mother of invention: Since Lake Constance simply cannot reach Amriswil, the political municipality of Amriswil bought a campsite in Uttwil. This offers space for 55 campers directly on the Seeradweg and is home to an attractive kiosk.
- Seeland: Sempach, LU: The beautifully situated «Seeland» campsite on Lake Sempach offers entertainment and sports facilities for the whole family. Young and old alike can have fun on the beautiful sunbathing lawn with paddling pool. You can rent bikes at the campsite and explore the town of Sempach and its surroundings. Whether archery, horseback riding, mini golf or tennis – an entertainment program is provided.
- Seefeld: Sarnen, OW: If you prefer to splash around in the pool than in the lake, Camping Seefeld is the place for you. There you will find a modern outdoor pool with adventure and panorama pools. The campsite also offers various barbecue areas. But there is also a restaurant.
- Fanel: Gampelen, BE: The family campsite is located in the middle of the Fanel nature reserve. The soft sandy bottom in Lake Neuchâtel is flat and is therefore particularly suitable for children. If you own a boat, you can also reach Lake Biel and Lake Murten via canals. Children will love archery, craft afternoons or horseshoes.
The most beautiful campsites in the city
- Delta: Locarno, TI: Camping Delta is located on Lake Maggiore, a few minutes’ walk from the center of Locarno. In the immediate vicinity there are golf courses, mini golf courses and tennis courts as well as a public swimming pool. The campsite is also suitable for visitors to the world-famous Locarno film festival or the “Moon and Stars”.
- Eichholz: Bern, BE: The Eichholz campsite with its large lawn and restaurant is located on the Aare, around 30 minutes’ walk from the city center of Bern. You can soak up the sun or play beach volleyball, football or badminton on the large bathing lawn right on the riverbank. If you get hungry, there are various barbecue areas where you can grill.
- Vidy: Lausanne, VD: At the weekend, musicians provide entertainment at the Vidy campsite near Lausanne. Specialties from the region are served in the campsite restaurant directly on Lake Geneva. Children can have fun on the playground with swings and the climbing wall – and parents can relax.
- Fischer’s Fritz: Zurich, ZH: The Fischers Fritz campsite is located directly on the shore of Lake Zurich, in a park with a lakefront in the Wollishofen district. The campsite’s own restaurant serves fresh fish every day. In just 10 minutes you can reach the Bahnhofstrasse for shopping or the Langstrasse and the Niederdörfli. Attention: the place at the Street Parade is often fully booked.
Price differences on the campsites are large
The prices are as varied as the pitches: a night on a campsite costs between 6 and 60 francs for adults with a small tent. Families (two adults, two children) in a mobile home pay between 20 and 140 francs.
The pricing is also different: in some places, the rates are calculated according to the size of the tent, while other campsites charge overnight stays per pitch, regardless of whether there is a tent or mobile home on it.
Various organizations and associations offer discounts to members. It is also worth looking out for early booking discounts. Important: There are sometimes additional costs (electricity or waste flat rates, tourist taxes).