The man was immediately taken to a hospital.
The resident of the home obviously handled the explosive device in his room on New Year’s Day, which exploded and seriously injured the man’s hand, the police reported on Tuesday. He succumbed to his injuries in hospital on Monday.
Indications that strangers are said to have thrown the fireworks into the 91-year-old’s room were not confirmed in the course of the investigation. The explosion was so violent that the room and the furniture were badly damaged.