Attempted sabotage by Israel?
Drone attack on Iranian military facility repelled
Iran says it has repelled a drone attack on a military facility in the center of the country. The target of the attack on Sunday night was a workshop complex of the Ministry of Defense north of the city of Isfahan.
Published: 11 minutes ago
Iran says it has repelled a drone attack on a military facility in the center of the country. The target of the attack on Sunday night was a workshop complex of the Ministry of Defense north of the city of Isfahan. (icon picture)
An explosion occurred in Iran on Sunday night. As the state news agency IRNA reported, a defense ministry ammunition factory near the metropolis of Isfahan in central Iran was attacked with several small aircraft. The agency Fars published a video of an explosion. State media wrote that the attack had been repelled. There weren’t any victims.
According to the Iranian Defense Ministry, one of the drones was destroyed by air defenses while two others exploded. The attack caused minor damage to the roof of a building. But nobody was injured.
The authorities did not provide any further information on the affected military installation. Iran has several nuclear research facilities in the region, including a uranium conversion facility. In April 2021, Tehran announced that production of uranium enriched to 60 percent had started at the Natans site in Isfahan province.
attack by Israel?
In recent years, Tehran has accused Israel of several covert actions on Iranian soil, including the killing of scientist Mohsen Fakhrisadeh. The nuclear physicist was killed in an attack on his car near Tehran in November 2020. Fakhrisadeh was under US sanctions for his role in Iran’s nuclear program when he was killed. Israel has never commented on the killing.
Negotiations on the Iran nuclear deal have been stuck for months. The agreement was intended to limit Iran’s nuclear program and ensure that the country would not build nuclear weapons. It was negotiated by the USA, China, Russia, Germany, France, Great Britain and Iran.
Under the then US President Donald Trump (76), the US unilaterally withdrew from the agreement in 2018 and imposed new sanctions on Tehran. As a result, Iran also gradually withdrew from its obligations under the agreement and restricted inspections of its facilities by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). (kes/SDA)