Tragedy in Britain
Girl († 14) sprays deodorant on her blanket and dies
A girl has died in the UK after spraying deodorant on her blanket. She liked the smell of the deodorant and it made her feel relaxed and calm.
Published: 5 minutes ago
Giorgia G. liked the smell of deodorant and sprayed loads of it on her blanket. That was her undoing.
She wanted to relax, as always. But that was exactly what was fatal for Giorgia G.* († 14) from Derby in Great Britain. She never woke up again. Her mother, Clare, found the teen dead in bed in May 2022. The 14-year-old was wrapped in her duvet. She inhaled too much deodorant and went into cardiac arrest.
Giorgia G. had previously sprayed her ceiling with deodorant to relax. Her parents would never have believed that this could be dangerous. “She liked the smell of the deodorant and it made her feel relaxed and calm,” says the mother to the British newspaper “Mirror”.
She and her husband could not have believed that their daughter was no longer alive. «No illness, no complaints, no warning. A healthy, fit child who has never been seriously ill.”
“The security standard should be checked”
To save other parents from this fate, they want to draw attention to the tragic death of Giorgia G. “We would like to announce that this happened because our daughter sprayed too much deodorant.” They hope other parents will be alarmed. “Toxic chemicals and gases in aerosol cans can be deadly.”
A spokesman for the British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association (Bama) says they take the case very seriously and are deeply saddened that someone so young has died. “We recommend attaching a number of additional warnings and instructions for use that go beyond what is required by law.” The safety standard should remain high and be checked. This is exactly what Giorgia G.’s parents wanted to achieve. “Our greatest wish is that the death of beloved Giorgia was not in vain.” (lrc)
* Names known